Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lunch at Hopeton's Festas

Today we .....my office mates and I traveled to Hopeton. Hopeton is located south of Turlock .......way out in the country. Today, June 24th is the feast day of St. John the Baptist and the day the Hopeton Festas is held. The church is small and build long ago..,...they have tables set up under huge trees and that is where you get to eat. The picture below is of some of the people setting at my table.Sopas is served at the festas and it was good today......because I have not eaten sopas in a long time it tasted even better then I remembered. For those of you who don't know about Portuguese Festas sopas is made from the meat from a cow.....boiled with spices and cabbage and mint. You then pour the meat, juice and cabbage over a piece of french bread. Below is a picture of my plate of sopas before I ate it all up.....and had seconds.
If you ever get a chance to go to a Portuguese Festas go and eat some wonderful soapas.

No comments: