Monday, March 05, 2007

Presidents Challenge

Every year I try and enter my guilds Presidents Challenge. Who ever is our presidents picks a fabric, it can be ugly, or a color that she believes will give the quilters in the guild a challenge to work with. We can either make a small quilt...no bigger then 30 inches by 30 inches, or a doll, or a wearable..... what ever we want. We get 5 or more months to make our creation and have to bring them to the February membership meeting. Then they are displayed at our quilt show in March. As usual I waited till the last minute and made this quilt over the presidents day weekend. Our guild then votes, numbers are put on each piece and no one knows who made what. Well I won this year! There were 12 entries. The president gave each one of us the orange fabric, and told us think summer. My small quilt is called.....Wish you were here. It was lots of fun to make and I used lots of thread on it.

Here is a close up of the palm tree.....I used a variegated thread and I really like the way it turned out. I also used beads as embellishment on the edge of the sand and on the tops of the waves and in the sun. I also used orange netting over the sky to make it look like sunset....it has that orange glow.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations on the win with this great piece.